Browned Butter Brownies
- 2 1/2 sticks salted butter
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 jar maraschino cherries, drained (keep 1/8 cup of juice)
- 1/8 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1/8 cup water
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- 4 tablespoons warm water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar (I used granulated)
- 4 squares (4 ounces) semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Pink chocolates
For the brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9×13 (use a smaller pan if you do half the recipe) baking dish by spraying with non-stick cooking spray and lining with parchment paper leaving an overhang on both sides.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Stir constantly until butter has reached a light brown color and little “bits” have formed.
- Pour the butter into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the sugar and cocoa powder and beat until smooth, almost creamy.
- Add the salt, water, and vanilla. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing in between each addition.
- Add the flour and mix well. Batter will be very thick.
- Use a spatula to spread batter in the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes (about 15-20 minutes for half the recipe) until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Using the parchment paper overhang, lift the brownies and let cool on a cooling rack.
For the mousse
- In a small bowl, combine the gelatin with the cold water to soften.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm 1/8 cup water with 1/8 cup maraschino cherry juice to just below the boiling point. Remove from heat, add the gelatin and stir until it dissolves.
- Puree the maraschino cherries in a food processor until smooth.
- Whisk the gelatin mixture into the puree until blended. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the meringue powder and the 4 tablespoons water until foamy. Add the lemon juice and continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the cherry mixture.
For the chocolate icing
In a bowl, melt the semisweet chocolate and the butter over a boiling pot of water.
For the decorations
Line a cookie sheet with either parchment paper or waxed paper. In a double boiler, melt the pink chocolate. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a tip #2. Pipe 12 hearts (or more). Let cool.
** You could also top with a maraschino cherry
- Line each cups of the cheesecake pan with waxed paper.
- Cut out 12 rounds in the brownies (I used the removable bottom of a cup and cut all around it with a knife) and place them inside the prepared cups.
- Divide the maraschino cherry mousse evenly in each cups. Let cool in the fridge for about 4 hours.
- Pour the chocolate icing evenly over the mousses.
- Place a pink heart in the middle of each mousse. Chill again until set.